The need for foster parents and qualified homes is always great, but the COVID-19 pandemic made the situation more critical than ever. Throughout the last few years, the availability of new foster homes across Tennessee dropped dramatically while the number of children in state custody also increased.
Right now, there are more than 8,000 children in Tennessee who are currently in foster care.
Not only did the pandemic present significantly increased health concerns and economic stresses, but the necessity of lock-downs, quarantining and isolation meant unstable or volatile home situations often became even worse for its youngest members.
Hence, the alarming (but not unanticipated) increased risk for neglect, abuse, mental health issues and safety concerns — and more children needing to be removed from their biological homes.
There is a Need More Licensed Foster Parents
The bottom line is, we now have fewer people applying to become foster parents and going through the process to become licensed. So, we are asking for your support. If you or someone you know has been giving serious thought to fostering a child, there is no time like the present.
Omni will have your back every step of the way. We always have.
Unique Support Foster Parents Can Expect From Omni:
- Training, techniques and tools supported by research to help you learn the ins and outs of foster parenting
- Trauma informed care, training and support that treats the whole child by considering their past trauma, how they coped and what behaviors resulted
- Financial assistance to cover costs associated with fostering children
- Small group parenting classes and foster family support groups
- Medical support including assistance finding physicians and scheduling appointments for your foster child/children
- Behavioral health referrals and support (since every child who comes into foster care has experienced some level of trauma)
- 24 hour, 365 days per year access to our highly skilled support team. You’ll never wait long for a return phone call.
- Respite care so you can take a break yourself!
- Quarterly community-building special events for foster parents and children. Whether it’s a yummy picnic, ice cream social or a trip to the ballpark, we believe strong communities are central to fostering success.
- Foster-to-adopt support if you decide it’s the right choice for your family
Watch this quick video to learn more about the highly supportive process for becoming an Omni Visions foster parent. Start your journey here or by phone at 615-460-7051.