Your family can enjoy one of Nashville's top attractions this weekend at 50 percent off the regular rate. Cheekwood's half-price admission weekend — Saturday, Aug. 3 and Sunday, Aug. 4 — is in conjunction with USA Today naming it one of North America's top 10 botanical gardens.
"We are so thankful for the community's vote earning us this distinction and excited to offer this half-price weekend to encourage new and returning visitors to experience the wonder and beauty of Cheekwood," says Jane MacLeod, Cheekwood president/CEO. "Our 12 gardens are in full bloom, making it the perfect time to enjoy a truly spectacular seasonal display and see first-hand why Cheekwood has been recognized as one of the top botanical gardens in the nation," she adds.
ABOUT THE ACCOLADE
A panel of experts nominated 20 gardens and arboretums across North America for the poll, and USA Today readers nationwide voted for their favorite place. Cheekwood ranks number 6. Here is the complete list of winners:
- Minnesota Landscape Arboretum - Chaska, Minnesota
- Missouri Botanical Garden - St. Louis, Missouri
- Bok Tower Gardens - Lake Wales, Florida
- Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden - Richmond, Virginia
- Vallarta Botanical Gardens - Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Cheekwood Estate & Gardens - Nashville, Tennessee
- Atlanta Botanical Garden - Atlanta, Georgia
- Chicago Botanic Garden - Chicago, Illinois
- San Diego Botanic Garden - Encinitas, California
- Montreal Botanical Garden - Montreal, Canada
Cheekwood is a member of the American Public Gardens Association and is the only botanical garden in Middle Tennessee. Its collection includes:
• The Carell Dogwood Garden, featuring a nationally accredited plant collection with more than 28 specimens, 14 different species and 23 varieties of dogwood.
• Historic boxwood and daylily collections along with display collections including magnolia, hydrangea and the Herb Study Garden.
• A native plant collection featured prominently in the Howe Garden and on the 17-acre Carell Woodland Sculpture Trail.
• The Rose Study Garden with more than 70 species of roses that bloom from April - October.
HALF-PRICE WEEKEND DETAILS
During half-price weekend, your family can enjoy garden tours at 10 and 11 a.m. in addition to Cheekwood Mansion tours at 11 a.m., 12, 1 and 2 p.m. Have fun exploring the interactive Storybook Houses in the gardens, complemented by the Childhood Classics: 100 Years of Children's Book Illustrations exhibit in the mansion's art gallery. Food trucks will be on site as well.
Half-price admission Saturday and Sunday boils down to this: $10 adults, $9 seniors, $8 college students, $6.50 ages 3 - 17, free ages 2 and younger.
Cheekwood is located at 1200 Forrest Park Drive, Nashville. Call 615-356-8000 or visit cheekwood.org.