It's been nine years since the last Harry Potter book hit the shelves (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows
), and eighth installment of J.K. Rowling's unparalleled saga of a wizarding world hits shelves this weekend, but not in the traditional sense of the book series. This next segment of Harry's world takes place 19 years after the drama in Hollows
, and the "book" is actually a play.
Hardcore Harry fans already know the next piece of the story is happening on stage — in London's West End, in fact — and the play is sold out through May 2017! Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
finds Harry nearing middle age and working for the Ministry of Magic. He's married with three kids, and his youngest son, Albus, is having trouble coping with the family legacy.
Your family can get in the fun of the anticipation of the release of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child — Parts One & Two (Special Rehearsal Edition Script): The Official Script Book of the Original West End Production
(Arthur A. Levine Books). The book goes on sale Sunday, July 31, and Barnes & Noble at Vanderbilt is hosting a FREE Midnight Release Party starting at 6 p.m. on Saturday, July 30.
There's a lot of fun on tap, and here are the highlights:
• Kids can enjoy coloring stations along with a hat- and wand-making station.
• Harry Potter photo booth.
• A special reading corner for those who want to catch up or refresh themselves with the books.
• Grab a refreshing Butterbeer along with other items from the Harry Potter Cafe.
• Everyone goes home with a goodie bag.
• Trivia Contest: It's 20 questions, and the winner will receive a $25 Barnes & Noble card. Get trivia info ahead of time HERE.
• Golden Snitch Scavenger Hunt: There will be a golden snitch hidden somewhere inside the store. Gather clues to its location, and the kid who finds it wins a $25 Barnes & Noble gift card.
• Bertie Botts Guessing Game: The child who comes closest to guessing the number of jelly beans inside the giant jar gets to take it home!
• Costume Contest: All ages (kids and adults) can come dressed as their favorite Harry Potter character and sign up for the contest anytime during the evening. The contest will begin promptly at 11:20 p.m., and three judges from Barnes & Noble will oversee the contest. The first-place winner will receive a Harry Potter Boxed Set of his/her choice; second- and third-place winners each receive a $25 Barnes & Noble gift card.
• Midnight Countdown: At 11:59 p.m., a procession will begin from the Cafe across the store to the register where everyone can have fun counting down to midnight. At 12:01 a.m., you'll be able to purchase your copy of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. You can reserve a copy in advance by calling 615-343-4369 — it's $29.99.
Barnes & Noble Vanderbilt is located at 2501 West End Ave., Nashville. Call 615-343-2665 or visit vubookstore.com