It’s late summer, you’re low on ideas and your kids are bouncing off the walls. Fear not, PBS Kids is here to help with intriguing ideas for busting boredom.
The digital platform is supporting caregivers and parents as they take this new school year head on with a seemingly endless amount of free educational resources for kids: including videos, crafts, games and a livestream broadcasted 24 hours a day.
Available to more than 97% of the country through over-the-air television access, the PBS KIDS 24/7 channel (for young learners ages 2-8) and the WORLD channel At-Home Learning Service (for learners grades 6-12) will feature broadcast programming linked to at-home learning resources that can be used by educators to supplement distance learning plans, or by parents to provide added enrichment and support for children’s educational needs.
When COVID-19 shut down schools across much of the country, PBS KIDS content increased notably, with reach growing by 15% among kids 2-8 on-air, streaming by nearly 30% and game play by 40%. Since then, PBS stations across the country have been forging partnerships with their school districts to address specific, state standards-aligned educational needs in each community.
Additional details on the available fall offerings can be found below.
BROADCAST (Check local listings)
- PBS KIDS 24/7 Channel: PBS KIDS offers anytime access to more than twenty series aligned to curriculum goals – from science and math, to literacy and life lessons. Available on-air via your local PBS station, and livestreaming on the PBS KIDS Video app and pbskids.org. Related parent and teacher resources are also available (see below).
- WORLD Channel: In partnership with WGBH, from 12 noon to 5 pm ET weekdays, the WORLD Channel offers programs on math, science, social studies and English language arts, curated by educators and aligned to related digital resources on PBS LearningMedia.
DIGITAL AND PRINTABLE RESOURCES
- pbskids.org & PBS KIDS Video App: Full episodes, clips, games and more educational tools for kids 2-8.
- PBS KIDS for Parents: Parents can find tips, resources, printables, an Activity Finder and more tools for learning at home with young children, including a special virtual event: Prepping for a Very Different School Year.
- PBS LearningMedia Newsletter: A weekly newsletter for educators PreK through 12th grade, showcasing digital offerings that support new school routines.
- PBS KIDS for Parents: This newsletter provides curated resources, including video content, digital games, DIY activities, and parent-directed information to support in-home learning. To sign up, contact the PBS KIDS team at firstname.lastname@example.org