Cold weather is here, so brush up on dressing kids appropriately with tips from the American Academy of Pediatricians (aap.org). There's no reason to over stuff them in bulky layers:
- Wear a hood, hat, scarf or face mask as most heat loss is at the head.
- Keep feet dry with waterproof boots over shoes.
- Wear a thermal knit layer underneath daytime clothes, then top that with warm outwear.
- Use coats with hoods, thick fabric, linings of flannel or fake fur, overlapping fabric to keep out the wind, and long lengths to cover bottoms.
- Aim for rib-knit cuffs and hems rather than drawstrings, as those can catch on sleds, or branches.