As the kids start heading outside more, even if it’s only in the backyard, it’s good to have a reminder about the importance of staying safe in the sun. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the sun’s UV rays can damage your skin in as little as 15 minutes.
A sunscreen that’s at least 15 SPF is imperative, and remember it takes 30 minutes to be effective after application. The additional benefits of using sunscreen with SPF 50+ are limited. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) offers these current recommendations:
BABIES 6 MONTHS & YOUNGER
• Keep out of direct sunlight. Keep in shade. Dress in lightweight clothing covering arms and legs; use a brimmed hat to shade the neck.
• If there’s no way to avoid the sun, you can apply a minimal amount of 15 SPF sunscreen to small areas, including the face, neck and hands.
LITTLE & BIG KIDS
• Limit sun exposure between the peak hours between 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
• Apply sunscreen with SPF 15 or greater to all areas of skin not covered by clothing. Reapply every two hours, or after swimming.
• Select clothing made of tightly woven fabrics. Cotton clothing is best.
• Wide brimmed hats are recommended along with UV-protection sunglasses.
• Use sunscreen even on cloudy days.
• Zinc oxide is effective as additional protection on sensitive areas like the nose, cheeks, ears and shoulders.
6 BEST SUNSCREENS FOR BABIES & KIDS
1) Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby | $12.99
SPF 50. Gentle on sensitive skin with a tear-free formula.
2) Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen Baby $15.49
SPF 30. Water resistant; provides broad spectrum of UV protection with zinc oxide built in.
3) Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Zinc Oxide Mineral Sunscreen | $21.63
SPF 50. Enriched with colloidal oatmeal.
4) La Roche-Posay Anthelios Dermo Kids Sunscreen | $29.99
SPF 60. Features antioxidants and vitamin E.
5) All Good Kids Sunscreen Lotion | $15.99
SPF 30. Includes organic chamomile to soothe sensitive skin.
6) Hello Bello Sunscreen Lotion | $9.78
SPF 50. Mineral-based formula, safe for sensitive skin.