Celebrate the beautiful weather with a fun and easy craft. Here’s a round-up of crafts you can do with your kids:
Let’s make paper flowers to hang around the house! These simple daisy flowers are great crafts for kids.
What you Need
Construction paper (white and yellow)
Ribbon (optional — if you want to hang them)
What you Do
- Take a piece of construction paper and fold it in half vertically
- Cut along the fold
- Take one piece of the paper — keeping it vertical — and start folding it accordion style
- Make sure that when you finish that both ends fold the same direction — you may need to cut off a piece to make sure it does
- Gather it at the middle and staple it at the middle once
- Trim the ends to round them off
- Take one side and pull it up to meet the other side and tape along the back of them to keep them together
- Repeat for the other side
- Cut out a circle from the yellow paper and tape to the middle of the flower (you can also glue this if you would like)
- If you decide to use ribbon, cut the length of the ribbon that you desire and tape/staple it to the backside of one of the folds — along the top of a “petal”
Flowers on a Stick
Create your own paper flowers out of paper and sticks!
What You Need
Paper in a variety of colors
Large sticky photo squares
What You Do
1. Grab your paper and cut out many tear-drop shaped pieces of varying sizes.
2. Take a sticky photo square and expose one sticky side.
3. Take four tear-drop shaped pieces of paper and stick one to each corner.
4. Repeat step 3 with another sticky square and four smaller tear-shaped pieces.
5. Stick the smaller petals onto the top of the one with the bigger petals.
6. Cut out a circle in another color, stick it to a new sticky square and position it onto the center of the smaller petals.
7. Place the completed flower onto a stick near the top.
8. Repeat those steps to make as many flowers as you want to fill a vase.
Soda Bottle Flowers
What You Need
Soda Bottle (1-liter and a 20 oz.)
Hot Glue (clear tape)
What You Do
- Carefully cut off the bottom of each soda bottle.
- Cut a little “V” between each little dip in the bottom.
- Light a tall candle.
- Carefully hold it over the flame, but not too close or it will catch fire. Allow the edges to melt and fold in.
- Do this to two different sized bottles and then hot glue (or use clear tape) to stick them together.
NOTE: This is a craft for the parents to do! Use EXTREME caution if you allow your older kids to help!
What You’ll Need
Yellow paper cups
Yellow paper plates
What You’ll Do
- Take one paper plate out of your stack.
- Fold it in half.
- With your scissors, cut off one corner.
- Now cut off the same amount from the other corner.
- Round out the edges.
- Open it up to reveal that you’ve made a set of petals.
- Repeat Steps 1 – 6 to make another set of petals.
- Take one paper cup and cut half-inch vertical strips to about the middle of the cup.
- Cut those strips all the way around the cup.
- Now cut those strips more than half way off.
- Cut all those strips down to a smaller size all the way around the cup.
- Bend each little strip over your finger to make it curl just a little.
- Take a piece of box tape, roll it and stick it in the middle of one set of petals.
- Place a second set of petals on top of it and press down.
- Take another piece of box tape and roll and jumble it into a ball.
- Place that piece of tape on the bottom of your cup.
- Center the cup over the middle of the petals and press down.
- Hang on the wall with a little more tape.
When you hang them, be cautious of the wall you are hanging them on and the tape you are using so that you don’t rip the paint off your wall. These would be great to make and tape to the porch railing for a spring party.