1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
1 can diced green chilies, drained
3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (add more or less to taste)
1 teaspoon dried cilantro
Vegetable oil for browning
1. Pour beans onto a plate and mash with a potato masher, leaving some whole and intact.
2. Add in the green chilies and mix well.
3. Sprinkle in bread crumbs and all spices and mix well.
4. Add egg and stir well.
5. Form into 4 patties — patties will be on the thick side. Lay patties on a plate and cover with wax paper. Chill in freezer for 30 - 45 minutes.
6. Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Remove patties from freezer and pan fry them on each side for at least 4 - 5 minutes or until a nice, deep brown color forms on the beans.
7. Flip only once.
8. Serve in a toasted whole wheat bun with melted cheese (Mexican blends work nicely), mayo, sliced tomato and avocado.
Note: Goes great with a green salad with a chipotle spiced dressing. For a low-carb alternative, skip the bun and add salsa for extra flavor.
Recipe courtesy of Nan Kelley, aka One Pan Nan. Find more recipes and get her cookbook at onepannan.com.