If you live in Davidson County and have a child old enough to start kindergarten in the 2020 – 2021 school year, now is the time to begin the application process for Metro Nashville Public Schools (MNPS). Got PreK kids? Those applications start in March.
APPLYING FOR KINDERGARTEN
There are eight enrollment center clusters, including Antioch and Cane Ridge, Glencliff, Hillsboro and Hillwood, Hunters Lane and Whites Creek, Maplewood and Stratford, McGavock, Overton, and Pearl-Cohn. The centers are open Mon – Fri from 7 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Before you visit an enrollment center, be sure you have all of the documents you'll need:
• Birth certificate or record of birth
• Tennessee Immunization Certificate from your child's doctor or any Metro Public Health Clinic
• Proof of physical — it must have been performed within one years of the start of school
• Proof of Davidson County residency — utility bill, telephone, lease or homeowner policy
• Parent/guardian photo ID
Be sure to do your homework in advance by visiting your child's future school, meeting with the principal and seeing what your child can expect in kindergarten.
APPLYING FOR PREK
"MNPS' programs are high quality and have received recognition for program quality, access, ongoing training for staff and building partnerships with families to ensure their child's success," says Phyllis Phillips, director of MNPS PreK programs.
If you're applying for PreK this fall, the application period takes place March 2 – 31. Here's what you need to know:
1) Click HERE to access the PreK program guide to identify the locations that work for you.
2) Be prepared to provide required documentation:
• Birth certificate or record of birth — children must turn 4 years old on or before Aug. 15, 2020 (with some exceptions)
• Proof of Davidson County residency — current utility bill, telephone, lease or homeowner policy
• Parent/guardian photo ID — drivers's license, state-issues ID, passport or military ID
3) Secure a student ID number — visit one of the enrollment centers, the Ivanetta H. Davis or Ross Early Learning Centers or the Family Information Center with the documentation to receive a required student ID number.
4) Complete and submit a 2020 – 2021 PreK application — complete it online HERE or an an enrollment center. Applicants will then receive next steps containing important dates for the selection process.
Families have until 3:30 on March 31, 2020, to complete an application.
For more info about enrolling for Kindergarten or PreK, call 615-259-4636 or visit mnps.org.