The Murfreesboro Municipal Airport will participate in the Discovery Center’s Sixth annual TN STEAM Festival (happening Oct. 14 – 23) by hosting an Airport STEAM Festival event Saturday, Oct. 22. The Airport invites the public to engage STEAM from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. to learn about what the Murfreesboro Airport does for the surrounding community.
“We are looking forward to inviting the public to the special STEAM event so the community can visit and see first-hand what our growing airport has to offer,” says Airport Director Chad Gehrke. “STEAM is science, technology, engineering, art and math and the airport will have plenty of that on display.”
The Murfreesboro Airport STEAM festival will have static displays showing-off aviation and what the airport brings to the community. There will be educational opportunities to teach everyone the fundamentals of aviation.
“We’re excited about participating in STEAM and have been planning the special day with exhibits, static displays, and guests,” said Airport Manager Ryan Hulsey. “Thanks to our many participating sponsors, the airport is able to offer hotdogs, chips, and bottled water to all who participate in the educational opportunities.”
The Experimental Aircraft Association will teach kids how planes fly and show-off the aircraft that fly in and out of the airport daily. A Paper Airplane Station will let kids and adults make paper airplanes. Civil Air Patrol will educate the community on their mission and the support CAP provides to the community.
Murfreesboro Airport STEAM Festival participants:
- The 101st Airborne Division: CH-47 (Chinook)
- TN Army National Guard: UH-60 (Blackhawk)
- Murfreesboro City Police: SWAT equipment
- Murfreesboro City Fire: Aqueous Film Forming Foam (AFFF) and fire suppression equipment
- T-34 Association: T-34 Naval Trainer Display
- Murfreesboro Aviation: Soviet Yakovlev Fighter Trainer
- Middle TN State University: jet and piston engines on display to see all the inner workings of the engine and well as show off the aircraft that train future airline pilots!
- Vanderbilt LifeFlight: see one of their active service medical evac helicopters
- Microsoft Flight Simulator: fly the same plane you just sat in right out of MBT
This is an excellent opportunity for members of the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts to earn credit towards their Aviation Merit Badge!
For the latest updated information on the Airport STEAM Festival, visit murfreesborotn.gov/2385/Airport-STEAM-Festival. For more information on the TN Steam Festival, visit tnsteam.org. Other City participants include Outdoor Murfreesboro, Cannonsburgh Village and Overall Creek Elementary. For more information, visit the Murfreesboro Municipal Airport webpage at murfreesborotn.gov/95/Airport.