The most wonderful time of the year brings the return of Nashville Ballet’s holiday tradition — Nashville’s Nutcracker — to TPAC’s Jackson Hall stage for 14 performances this year taking place Dec. 3 – Dec. 23. What’s more, YOUR CHILD could land a spot in the show!
One of the charming aspects of Nashville’s Nutcracker is the large cast of local children — 200 altogether! — who share the stage in various roles alongside Nashville Ballet’s professional dancers.
Children ages 7 (must be born in 2008) – 11 can audition for Nashville’s Nutcracker on Sunday, Sept. 11 at The Martin Center for Nashville Ballet. Prior dance experience is not a requirement as performance training will be provided. Ages 12 and older must be School of Nashville Ballet students.
BOYS — ALL AGES
Registration time: 11 – 11:30 a.m.
Audition time: 11:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.
GIRLS — Ages 7 (born in 2008), 8 & 9
Registration time: 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Audition time: 12 – 1 p.m.
GIRLS — Ages 10 – 11
Registration time: 12 – 1 p.m.
Audition time: 1 – 2 p.m.
GIRLS — Ages 12+ (Nashville Ballet students ONLY)
Registration time: 1 – 2 p.m.
Audition time: 2 – 3 p.m.
HOW TO REGISTER FOR AUDITIONS
New this year, you can pre-register to save your child’s space. You can do so at nashvilleballet.com/youthcast. To pre-register, click on your desired audition date, then enter the appropriate info for your child. Even if you pre-register, you are still required to attend the registration period on the day of your child’s audition. Pre-registration closes on the Thursday prior to the Sunday audition, and walk-up registrations are welcome day of the audition.
On the day of your child’s audition, be sure to bring the $10 audition fee and a 4″ x 6″ full body photograph.
OTHER AUDITION INFO TO KNOW
• Girls should wear a solid color leotard and pink tights. Have her hair neatly secured in a bun. Ballet slippers are preferred; however, children who don’t own slippers may audition in socks or another style of dance shoe. Pointe shoes are not required for any youth cast roles. Dance sneakers should not be worn for the audition.
• Boys may wear a T-shirt (no oversize shirts) and shorts.
• All children will receive an e-mail notifying them of whether or not they received a role. Decision letters will be e-mailed Friday, Sept. 23 beginning at 7 p.m.
• There is a MANDATORY meeting for NEW parents ONLY! If this is your child’s first year to participate in the cast of Nashville’s Nutcracker, one parent is required to attend a meeting on Thursday, Sept. 29 at 5 p.m. at The Martin Center.
• Rehearsals begin the week of Oct. 17, and all rehearsals and performances are mandatory. Rehearsals last 1 – 3 hours depending on your child’s role. Parents are required to chaperone at the theater. Here’s all the rehearsal and performance info.